Foodiva's Kitchen: Date and Orange Mascarpone Fritters & YBR November

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Date and Orange Mascarpone Fritters & YBR November


If you feel like doing something very easy but still unusual for dessert next time you have some guests over for eats, then I have just the recipe for you. Dates are now in season and if you happen to have them in abundance in your pantry, you can whip these simple fritters up. Fill the pitted dates with the flavors of orange (zest) and creamy mascarpone, toss them in orange (juice) batter and fry. See... easy like Sunday mornings.


These are best made by using the sweet, thick, fleshy medjool dates which grow in Egypt and California. I didn't have any medjool on hand but a friend had just brought back and gifted me some dates from Saudi Arabia, so I used those instead. Not as large nor as fleshy, but they were just as sweet. Once coated in batter and deep-fried, the mascarpone just melts in your mouth as you bite through the batter. I would serve these warm with Cinnamon or Vanilla icecream, or both, why not?



Last time I fried up a batch of these fritters, I ate about 10 of them all by myself, curled up in bed with a cup of hot, creamy chocolate. While watching The Biggest Loser on TV. How ironic.

Date and Orange Mascarpone Fritters
Makes 20 fritters, serves 4
Ingredients:
20 medjool dates
Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
8 tablespoons mascarpone
Plain flour, for dusting
Oil, for frying

Batter
300ml freshly squeezed orange juice
100g (4 oz) self-raising flour

Method:
1. Split the dates along one side and remove the seeds. Set aside.
2. Mix the orange zest with the mascarpone. Stuff the dates with the mascarpone mixture and push back into shape.
3. Make the batter by whisking flour and orange juice together until smooth, getting rid of lumps. Heat the oil for deep-frying.
4. Dust the dates with flour and then drop them carefully one by one into the batter to coat. Lift the dates out of the batter with a spoon and place gently in the hot oil. Cook for 4-5 minutes until completely crisp and golden. Lift from the pan onto a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
5. Serve the fritters warm or cool with cinnamon or vanilla ice-cream.


One last thing, as you may know, Nancy of Spicie Foodie is hosting the Your Best Recipe event starting from last month. For November, I've submitted my recipe for Spiral Ravioli, in the mysterious (natural) hues of green, black and white. To check out mine and other bloggers' best recipes via Nancy's round-up, please click here.

Have a great 'date' with these fritters, peeps! (Cheesy, I know).

10 comments:

Victoria said...

These are awesome! Love dates, mascarpone, AND fried things, lol.

Unknown said...

This a proper treat!
I want it:)
Barbaraxx

whatsfordinneracrossstatelines said...

OMG these fritters look good! Thanks for reminding me about YBR!
-Gina-

Carolyn said...

I don't think dates are ever in season here in New England, but these look amazing nonetheless. If I could get my hands on some fresh dates, I would love to make these!

Unknown said...

Victoria, fried things rule! Especially good to munch on while watching The Biggest Loser...lol.

Barbara & Gina, thanks so much.

Carolyn, haha.. dates don't grow in tropical Brunei either, it's too humid here. What I meant was, they're in season in the parts of the world where they are mostly cultivated. ;-)

Unknown said...

oh yum. This looks fantastic (as always). I'm sure I saw dates in the market last week, I have to get my hands on them. Have a great day... :)

Unknown said...

You know lately I just want to eat everything you make, so creative.

Lauren said...

Girl, that's how I roll too! I love to watch America's Next Top Model, eat chocolate or cake and complain about how skinny the models are.

These look so good! I would have never thought of this. It's sooo creative, girl!

I wanted to tell you thank you for your super sweet comment you left. It meant so much to me. thank you for your support! hugs!

Nancy said...

Like I said before, I just love your kitchen creativity! You are amazing and these fritters look so scrumptious. I'm going to put these on my list to try. Thanks for sharing.

Magic of Spice said...

These are delicious and gorgeous as well! Your entry for YBR is as well :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails