Foodiva's Kitchen: Nutella and Peanut Butter Stripe Bread

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Nutella and Peanut Butter Stripe Bread


If you've perused through enough of my posts and recipes, you may have noticed my slight obsession with the creation of stripes, swirls and spirals in my edibles. As well as a borderline addiction to pinks and purples :-). As idiosyncratic as it sounds, these are the things make me happy...my brain probably swims in a pink and purple sea of swirls and stripes on a daily basis. Imagine that. I like to think that I'm quite normal; each to his own, wouldn't you say?  

Well, you may be relieved to know that today there is not an ounce of bright color in my recipe. In fact I've decided to go for neutrals and earthy (is that a color?). Ah, but wait...there are stripes and there are swirls, because I've gone and made something called a "stripe" bread. I thought it was about time to contribute something to Susan's Yeastspotting again, so this post is linked there too.

Nutella and peanut butter filling. 

The stripes that make up the bread are actually layers of filling, in this case nutella and peanut butter, an irresistible combo to anyone but those poor souls who, for whatever reasons, wish to always watch their weight. I suppose you could just spread the filling on top of the bread dough, but what I did was to spread the nutella and peanut butter mixture in the shape of a rectangular sheet, freeze it for about 30 minutes and once the sheet was firm, place it on top of the dough. I think it just makes the dough easier to roll flat, without the filling seeping out as you manipulate the dough.


There are a number of folding and rolling steps involved (see Method below for pictorial). Very good for letting off some steam if you've had a bad day. On a good day, it's just lovely to feel something this soft and pliable in between your fingers. I am referring to the dough, you're still with me, right?

There's also braiding involved and let me tell you this, I suck at it! Even when I try to braid my own hair, the end result always looks like bits of straw trying to escape from the messy bundles on either side of my nape. So this is a four-braided bread...(cue incredulous laughter), and sadly I can't even describe to you in the instructions below how I managed to do it at all.


Anyway, the stripes are visible on the outside while the swirls are apparent when you slice into the bread. Of course, when it's still warm, the decadent filling will be soft and fluid so if you want the swirls to be more prominent, wait until the bread cools down fully before you cut into it. But who in their right mind can wait that long? As you can see, I couldn't!


Instead of a ending with a song today, I'd like to share with you one of the TED talks that I really enjoy. I'm in danger of sacrificing my cool factor here by admitting that I'm also a nerd. There, I said it. I listen to TED talks (there are 900+) as much as I surf your blogs because I so enjoy learning from other people's experiences in their different fields of expertise. 

This particular talk titled "Taking Imagination Seriously" is by Janet Echelman, a sweet woman who builds larger-than-life, fluid sculptures in cities all over the world. She's truly inspiring because in situations where most people would have quit, she soldiers on and finds innovative solutions to produce the most jaw-dropping pieces of art that comes from the very heart of her being. Listen to her and be inspired.


(PS. If you have streaming issues, download the video to the lowest resolution video option. There are also translation options!)

Nutella and Peanut Butter Stripe Bread
Ingredients:
Dough
2 teaspoons dry active yeast
1/2 cup warm milk
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Nutella-Peanut Butter Filling
2 tablespoons nutella
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter

Method:
1. For the dough, dissolve yeast in warm milk, add sugar, vanilla and butter. Combine flour and liquid and knead with your fingers until a soft dough forms. Add more milk or flour as necessary to achieve a pliable, non-stick dough. Place dough in a bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let it rise in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
2. For the filling, place the nutella and peanut butter in a heatproof bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute, stir to mix it and spread into a rectangle shape (10 x 4 in) on a piece of parchment paper or silpat. Place in the freezer to firm up for 30 minutes.
3. Roll out the bread dough into a rectangle (16 x 12 in) on a lightly floured work surface. Peel the sheet of filling and quickly place on the middle part of the dough. Wrap both ends of the dough over to cover the filling completely and seal the edges tightly by pinching.


4. Roll dough flat starting from the center and going outwards to the edges to form a rectangle. Do this gently to prevent the filling from oozing out. Fold the dough into three folds. Roll dough flat from center to the edges to form a rectangle again. If you want to create more stripes, repeat this step twice. Roll, fold and roll.


5. Make three cuts in the middle (length wise), leaving one end uncut. Twist and plait the four strips of dough over each other.


6. Place plaited dough in greased loaf pan, tucking the ends underneath the loaf. Cover with a kitchen cloth and let rise for another 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 180°C /350°F.


7. Bake stripe bread for 30 minutes or until it's golden brown on top. Remove from oven and take the bread out of the mold. Let the loaf cool on a wire rack. Wait until the bread is completely cold before slicing.


Enjoy!

70 comments:

Daydreamer Desserts said...

My brain is really happy right now… gorgeous loaf!

RavieNomNoms said...

That is SO amazing! First off how can you go wrong with peanut butter and nutella?? I would be gobbling up that bread in no time flat hehe

TinaRBK said...

Your braid turned out so much better than mine! I am glad you took a picture of the final loaf. Great flavor choice, wish I had a slice!

shaz said...

Looks Really good! :)

Nancy said...

Hi Maya, Wow I've missed so much on your blog so now I've got to catch up. Loving this bread and your idiosyncratic :) Your uniqueness is what keeps me coming back.
I've never heard of TED so thank you for telling us about it. Ms Echelman's video has left me with goosebumps. Love her vision, words and inspiration. I hope to one day see one of her sculptures because they are magnificent. My favorites were the 1.26 and Vancouver one - great colors :)

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

Wow I'm so impressed! You did an incredible job on this bread and it looks so delicious!!

Anonymous said...

How fantastic! And I love the braided aspect!

eYeZar said...

When am I picking up mine?

the [sugar] apothecary said...

Oh, how did you know I needed this right now?! I can almost taste the glorious Nutella and peanut butter, warm and gooey and wonderful. I am so tempted to make this the instant I get home! Your braid is lovely, trust me. I haven't had long hair in six years... I have had zero practice so my bread is going to be a wreck. I quite enjoy your obsession with swirls and stripes. Keep it up!

Carolyn said...

Okay, this is a work of art, girl! A work of ART!

Aarthi said...

amazing one

Three-Cookies said...

Really well decorated, good skills. And this is probably the first time I am seeing both peanut butter and nutella featuring in one recipe

Lilly said...

I love to see how you put this bread together, the step by step pics definitely helps. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

Heather said...

This is absolute genius.

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

What a lovely loaf- and ever so kind of you to provide a step-by-step account, thank you

Unknown said...

Ooh..thanks for all your wonderful comments. I didn't know stripe bread can be so popular! I'm putting it down to the Nutella and peanut butter filling :-).

Unknown said...

Tina, I never saw your full braided bread so I can't arrive at a similar conclusion to yours... Yours might look just as good, if not better!

Unknown said...

Nancy, isn't that video great? I'm so happy you enjoyed it, this is just one of my many favorites. In fact, I hold great admiration for the people who speak at TED conferences, as they truly are the best in their fields. Wait till you hear 12-year old Adora Svitak speak...she's amazing!

Kate@Diethood said...

Oh my worrrrrd! My eyes don't know where to look...my stomach is rumbling...my mouth is watering... wow!!!

Unknown said...

eYeZar, come by anytime. You know where I live!

Unknown said...

Christine@the sugar apothecary, well don't wait till your hair grows longer to make this, LOL. I'll look forward to your gluten-free version of this bread ;-).

Unknown said...

Kate@Diethood, LOL...you are so funny! Just keep your eyes on the monitor and you'll be fine ;-).

Erin said...

I want this one now! This is just amazing! So pretty, and mixing some of my all time favorite things! Awesome job with this one!

Steph said...

Love the step by step instructions! And I must say...I'm so mesmerized! This is such an awesome loaf!

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

Maya, you obvisiouly have to much time on your hands to make such beautiful bread and take such awesome pics. I think you should give up blogging and find a 18 hour day job! (just totally kidding!!)
Keep up the great posts :)

Unknown said...

Erin and Steph, many many thanks. And to think that I was hesitant to put this post up because I thought the bread was (ha ha) uninteresting... You can tell I love my colors, but still, I'm happy people like this!

Unknown said...

Foodness Gracious, I HAD an 18-hour job just a year ago, that's the funny thing! Now I'm just enjoying life and although my days are still 18-hour days (how can it not be with 3 kids?), it's so much more enjoyable when I get to do what I love :-). You know exactly how that feels, right?

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks delicious bookmarking

PFx said...

Hey, yum yum bread! Love the spiraling highlights.
So breaking a little chain of purple and pink I see? Hahaha.
I'm liking the art of the nets, not so much about the lady. I much prefer the awesomeness of Susan in yeastspotting :)

Unknown said...

Akheela@Torviewtoronto, thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is TOO COOL for school! I love it! I love stripes and polka dots....so I'm there for you!

Unknown said...

Pierre@PFx, yes I'm breaking the vicious chain of predictability, more like it! Now I hope you can wrap that around your perception of me...LOL. Btw, you're totally missing the point about the video, but thanks for taking the time to watch it ;-).

Gina said...

This came out absolutely amazing I hope you know. I'm scared now about the pretzel challenge, lol. Only thing I wish is that you had made a video of you braiding it for us, that would have made my day.
-Gina-

Unknown said...

Gina, seriously, a video?? HAHAHA...you got me there! If I did make one, you'd see me braiding and unraveling dough, and dough strands refusing to get off of each other and all kinds of messy stuff (not to mention my bewildered expression!). So aren't you glad I spared you all the details?

I'm really looking forward to the pretzel challenge, there's no braiding involved but I'm still struggling for flavors :-(.

Unknown said...

That is some gorgeous bread!

Unknown said...

Oh Maya, this bread looks spectacular. Nutella and peanut butter? YUM. Thank you for your concern about the riot. It's just crazy. I hope it'll not spread to the north.

That's Ron said...

ah! nice... so thats how it's done

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Maya, what an incredibly stunning bread!!! Thanks for sharing the technique...I'll definitely try it :)

PS...I blogged about those fun biscuit presses you sent me on today's post :)

Unknown said...

Many thanks, Tamar!

Unknown said...

Michael, I saw there are already riots in Liverpool, isn't that north enough? Keep safe, my friend!

Unknown said...

Hi Ron, yes that's how it's done. Love your blog and your banners, and so glad you found my site!

Unknown said...

Lizzy, I went to have a peek and your shortbread cookies are impressive! Glad this cookie presses worked for you ;-).

Russell at Chasing Delicious said...

This bread looks awesome! Gorgeous braid too. I am definitely trying this one asap.

Alex said...

what a tasty and beautiful looking bread! I want some!

Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...

who wouldn't find swirls and stripes happy??? They're pretttyyyy :D

Unknown said...

Russell, the braids gave me great grief, but I'm just glad they turned out the way they did...presentable, at least ;-).

Unknown said...

Alex, thanks for visiting. And I want some of your vegan molasses cookies!

Unknown said...

Xinmei, I KNEW that you could relate to this obsession! LOL, many thanks.

Koci said...

This looks sooo delicious! You've combined two of my favorite things--Nutella and peanut butter. Plus all those beautiful swirls make the bread look so fun, too. Yum!

Unknown said...

Koci, I guess you can't go wrong with Nutella and peanut butter ;-). And yes, those swirls look fun, but only after I've finished making them!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the braid and the swirl are gorgeous! And the combination of nutella and pb is terrific.

Sandra said...

I absolutely love this bread Maya, looks so delicious, and I think perfect for breakfast!

Unknown said...

Natasha, thanks. This combo is certainly popular, it seems! I need to dip more into my Nutella and PB jars in the future :-).

Unknown said...

Sandra, you and I know a good breakfast when we see it. *winks* Thank you, sweets!

The Chocolate Priestess said...

I don't personally have the patience to try something quite so complicated and time consuming but I can appreciate it and say that it looks both lovely and yummy. Thank you for sharing.

Victoria said...

So pretty! You do have an obsession with stripes and spirals, haha :) Definitely eat with the eyes first!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

I have been lazying in bed all morning catching up on post holiday blogs....I have not had breakfast. Darn you..I have to stop and go eat now because that bread just makes me so hungry. I love your braiding! hair is harder lol.

Unknown said...

Chocolate Priestess, my patience is oly just marginally more than yours as I can barely wait for the bread to cool down before chomping into it. LOL.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Victoria. That's my motto too! ;-)

Unknown said...

Evelyne, welcome back! Hope you have many tales to share. I have no preference for braiding dough or hair, both are equally hard... Go satisfy your cravings and BAKE, woman.

Peggy said...

I actually love your unique braiding job! And the tip about freezing the dough sheet for a bit before you braid is genius - makes it a little less messy!

Ei said...

OMG, this looks DELICIOUS! Peanut butter and nutella, united in one happy braid???? I am SO making this.

Unknown said...

Peggy, I think the freezing part is essential or you'll end up with filling all over your fingers, rolling pin and counter! NOT a pretty sight...

Unknown said...

Ei, it IS delicious, especially with a hot cup of coffee... Hope you enjoy making it, I'm sure you have better braiding skills than me :-).

Stephanie said...

This is such a brilliant idea. I can't explain how much I want to make this bread now and how fabulous it would taste with a cup of coffee for breakfast. You're making me hungry

Roxana GreenGirl said...

oh my heaven! How this bread looks! and the filling ... i'm so getting hungry right now and i'm so making it soon. So happy the dough doesn't call for eggs.
Thanks Maya!

Unknown said...

Stephy, hi! I'm beginning to wonder what it is about this bread that people like? Must be the filling, it's deadly delicious! Love that huge piece of bread you're holding in your profile photo ;-).

Unknown said...

Roxana, I think I may have forgotten to put in the eggs...LOL. In any case, the bread turned out well without eggs due to the very richness of the filling. So yes, no eggs required!

Stefanie said...

The idea of a bread filled with nutella AND Peanut butter sounds delicious! And it looks so delicious, too!
And thank you for the link to the video, I enjoyed watching this sculptures so much!

Sook said...

Oh my goodness... This bread looks so amazing! I can't wait to try it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails